Filipino Superstitions

Today was Uncle E and Auntie V's annual fiesta celebrating San Rocque, or Saint Rocco - patron saint of the sick and invalid. The story goes that 27 years ago, when Uncle E arrived in the United States, he was so grateful and felt that San Roque brought him all this luck. His promise was to hold a celebration every year in honor of him and he has kept to his word. Although I missed the mass part ( I had to attend a friend's baby shower! Really!) John was telling me that part of the priest's homily was about an exorcism he attended, to which I must have rolled my eyes because Uncle B's response was "it's true! it's a true story!"

OK, so it's no secret that I'm not a big believer in exorcisms, but when it comes to Filipino superstitions --- I find myself wondering....hmmmm, welll....maybe. You never know.

When Bennett was born and started to grow some hair, we started hearing this comment from relatives: "Oh he has two puyo (cowlicks). Oh boy. You know what that means." I didn't even notice at first but there they were - two big loops on the back of his head. Two cowlicks. According to Filipino superstition, two cowlicks means he will be headstrong and lucky, but stubborn, mischievous, and a troublemaker. "Playboy" was another interpretation I heard from another relative. "Naughty" was another. As this also relates to hair, I even waited until he was one year old for him to get his haircut. Why? Because cutting hair before the age of one was bad luck.

My mother in law has told me stories of mothers putting magazines and books under the pillows of their kids so they will grow up smart. We eat noodles on birthdays and New Years for long life and put coins on our window sills for prosperity. I won't even have my palms read because I just don't want to know. My mom tells me big ears means long life.·

So I did a little research and here is a list of some superstitions and folklore that I may someday stitch together into a book or something for Bennett to read. He may just get a kick out of it as much as I do. So long as he doesn't sit on the book - because sitting on books makes you stupid.


Parenting 101

*When a toddler loses his first tooth you must burn it or give it to the squirrels, so as the toddler grown up, he/she will have strong permanent teeth. If a baby grew its teethe earlier than expected there is a chance that he/she will have a brother or a sister.
*· After the baby is delivered, the umbilical cord must be rubbed on the newborn's cheek to produce dimples.

· If a baby often holds his feet, it means that he wants a younger brother or sister.

· Stepping over a child while he is asleep will slow down his growth.

A breech baby will bring luck to the family. He or she will also have the power to remove fish spines stuck in another person's throat by merely touching that person's neck.

Beauty and Fashion Tips

· Don't comb your hair at night, lest you become bald, orphaned, or widowed. But if you must comb at night, bite the tip of the comb first.
- Washed clothes should be taken from the clothesline at night, lest they will be stolen and worn by dwarfs.

· If you happen to get lost, invert your clothes and you will find your way.

· After you dress up and you immediately discover that you wore your dress inside out, it means that you are going to receive money shortly.

· Don't gamble if you've just had a haircut, for you are certain to lose.


· Don't cut your nails at night, or on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Fridays.

Buying or Building a House?

If you are to build a house, always begin during a full moon.

· The best months to build a house is during the months of March, June, July, August, September, and November.

· Never build your house at the end of a cul-de-sac, or "dead end" road.

· The number of steps on a staircase should not be in multiples of three. Count off the steps as oro (gold), plata (silver), and mata (death). The last step must not fall on mata.

· Always move into a new house on a Wednesday or Saturday.

·· When moving into a new home, scatter coins in the living room so prosperity will reign.

· Bees found inside the house will bring fortune and good luck to its occupants.

·· If you want to rid your house of bedbugs (fleas), place some on a piece of paper then leave them in someone else's house. The bedbugs will move to that house.

· If you wish to rid your home of unwanted visitors, secretly sprinkle salt around the house and they will soon depart.

Good night. Sweet dreams everyone (and if you happen to have a dream with numbers in it, buy your lotto ticket tomorrow! $27 million ain't too shabby!

2 comments:

Ree said...

Here's one...and believe it or not, it worked!!! When a baby has hiccups, take a short piece of thread, preferably black, wet it with a little saliva and lay it across a hiccuping baby's forehead. Wait a minute or so and VOILA!! Hiccups gone !! I actually tried it last night and freaked me out because it worked. I SWEAR!!

milai said...

thanks for this. i'm scouring the net for moving-in superstitions as i just moved houses and mommy has been bombarding me with the do's and don'ts. it got me interested enough to create a blog about it. maybe i'll post my compiled moving-in superstitions by wednesday.

thanks again. :)